5 Realistic New Year Resolutions
It is a little bit scary how quickly time goes. Each New Year we start with 365 days, which is 8,760 hours or 525,600 minutes. Sure that sounds like a lot; especially when you break it down into minutes. But year after year I hear co-workers and family members say how quickly the year has passed which becomes an instant reminder of our finite time on this planet.
I think what makes the time go by so fast is when we wish the workday would be over sooner, or we start “living for the weekend”. We forget to appreciate all the little things throughout a day that helps us to make the most of the time we have. An article from Elite Daily stated this concept perfectly: “How we treat our own time is an interesting reflection on how we feel about our lives”.
So as the New Year is upon us it is a great time to start thinking about how to make 2015 an absolutely wonderful year full of new adventures, memories, and personal growth. To help, we have created 5 realistic New Year Resolutions or goals for 2015!
- Start living an active lifestyle: This is something that everyone can strive to work towards. Start living an active lifestyle. That doesn’t have to mean buying a gym membership or a treadmill that may only be used for 1 month. This means consciously choosing more physically active activities throughout the day like by taking the stairs at work, going for 30 minute morning walk or getting in a mini workout during your 1 hour lunch break. Start with small short activities throughout the day and overtime it will become an active habit.
- Eat healthier: This is a tough one, especially for busy families. Just remember, you don’t have to eat healthy 100% of the time, just try to consistently eat healthy. The easiest way you can do this is by making your own lunch for work instead of eating out all the time. You can also try adding a few more fruits and vegetables to your meals and work towards eating less processed foods. If you consistently eat healthy the results will show overtime.
- Discover 3 new things about the city you live in: This is a fun challenge that you can do with your family or some friends,. Be a tourist of your own city! Often we forget to learn about or explore all of the interesting buildings, facts, and history about the place we live in. You don’t have to go far to feel like you are on a vacation. So go check out a new restaurant (preferably not a chain), take a trip through history at your local museum or check out the a new musical performance or art exhibit. You might be surprised by everything the city you live in offers!
- Spend more time with family: That means making an effort (and potentially forcing your kids) to spend more time with the ones you love. Turn off your phone, put the computer away, and disconnect from the craziness of work and spend quality time with your parents, grandparents, kids, or friends. Those are the people that will always be there for you, so make an effort to make new memories with them. Don’t let time pass you by, because there won’t always be a tomorrow for you or for the ones you love.
- Join a club/Start a hobby: Have you always wanted to learn the guitar? How about take a cooking class? Or maybe you want to finally face your fear of public speaking by joining a Toastmasters Club. This is your year to do it! Sign up for that class, put it in your calendar, and commit! You will be so proud of yourself 365 days later of what you were able to accomplish in 1 year if you start now!
Make everyday of the 365 days you have in 2015 count. Set goals, write them down, and start now! The above 5 realistic new years resolutions will only help to create a better you 1 year from now and will help you to make 2015 an unbelievable year.